Monday, August 16, 2010

Week 20: Smooth/Rough


Smooth/Rough (Sarah)

I've been chewing on these words for a while now, not able to swallow them, or spit them out.

When I first started thinking about this week's pairing, I was snapping pics of tree bark and pavements and silky fabrics. I was seeking out objects to visually describe rough and smooth. But, all I can reflect on when it comes to writing are the textures of life.

I am going through a particularly tumultuous time in my own life. I feel like I am leaning, tip-toed on the edge of a rocky gorge, unsure of myself, and most unsure of others. I don't know whether I should just plunge into the unknowing, belly-flop onto the questions and plow my way through, or, if I should ease my way down and try to avoid the roughest waters.
I'm afraid of drowning, afraid of not being able to catch my breath.

And yet, there are gasps of stillness.
There is smoothness, warmth and wading pools.
There is watching Jinu throw stones into the river, holding his soft hands, and kissing his creamy lil' cheeks.

So for now, I am hanging on tightly to the gentle moments.
I am thankful for life in all of its fluidity, always moving, ever-changing.
I am thankful for the ability to make my own choices, and for the realization that most often the choices I make lead to a certain path, and either rough or smooth, a destination.

Where is life taking you?
Where are you taking your life?



(As you can see, we rearranged the pictures differently this week and, we want to know what you think is better? The two images stacked on top of each other (like above) or the original side-by-side design where the comparison is easier to make?--We'd love to hear your opinions! Please share!)


7 comments:

Myles August 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

Wow Sarah, these are amazing photos. I love water - it expresses emotion so well. I'd have never thought of water as rough (in terms of texture) until I saw that second photo.

Personally I'm used to the rough in life. If or when the smooth ever comes, it's nice while it lasts but ultimately it doesn't feel normal unless I'm being hurled down an existential waterfall.

Also, I prefer this layout for the size of the pictures but it does make comparison more difficult. What's more important to you two? The individual images or their juxtaposition?

Charlene August 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Like your friend above ^^ I like the larger pics however to compare it is easier side by side.

Sarah you are so right that choices lead one to certain paths in life...... so too does faith & the support of those who love you. Wishing you a very smooth path in your lifes journey.

Mary August 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

One thing that's interesting about rough water is that it eventually calms down. It might take a few miles and a downstream direction, but it ALWAYS smoothes out and calms down. And I really think that it most often pushes us in the right direction.

I'm sure you're heading down the right path.

Love you, sista.

Sarah August 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

That water picture is Awe-some! What kind of camera do you use?

http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

Mary August 31, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for stopping by! I checked out your blog and noticed that you were in the market to buy a new camera. How exciting!

Sarah used her Nikon D80 to take these pictures.

I shoot with a Canon 7D.

Anvilcloud September 4, 2010 at 5:00 AM  

I think the orientation of the photos should help you to decide on the orientation of the presentation. This one suits as does the one below.

I missed a few posts, but it's good to get back here.

Megan September 4, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

interesting that you both shot pictures of water -- the perfect medium for rough or smooth!

About the Project

As a way to stay connected through our travels and beyond, A Perspective Project was initiated by the desire to master our cameras, and to be creative and more observant of the world around us.


Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP