Thursday, March 18, 2010

Week 2: Open/Close

Open (left: Mary)



Oh, to be open, wide open... how wonderful it sounds, yet, how difficult it can be. I tend to be very open when it comes to new places, friendships, experiences. I'll try (almost) anything if the opportunity presents itself.



But when it comes to creative or artistic endeavours, it's another story entirely. Insecurities play such a large role in how willing (or unwilling) I am to open myself up. I want to change though. I like this little fern, slowly unfurling, and I'm trying to follow suit.



How is it people come to a place where they are comfortable expressing themselves openly, or putting what they’ve expressed out there for all to see? How do you do it? I'd love to know!



Closed (right: Sarah)


How many doors could a closed mind close, if a closed mind could close doors???



You know that old saying, ‘when one door closes, another one opens.’?



Well what if your door is permanently closed? I mean, isn’t there a door to your mind? Maybe yours is flung wide open? Or perhaps a screen door, a filter? How about a French door- shut, but with enough windows to let the outside in? Or, perhaps yours is open just a crack, with a hint of light peeking through???



Then there are those doors that are closed completely, no light, no keyhole, dead bolted and rusty. Those doors that leave people outside in the rain, pounding on the frame – “let me in!”, “open up!”, "have you found Jesus?", "I'll huff and I'll puff..."



I just wonder how many opportunities or chances, relationships or explanations people miss out on because they choose not to see or hear them.



I've always tried to keep an open mind, to be receptive and to allow myself to be challenged.



How is the gateway to your mind? Open? Closed? Somewhere in between?

9 comments:

Anvilcloud March 19, 2010 at 6:04 AM  

I figure god never opens a window but he closes a door.

luna pie March 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

Mary, I love your little fern, and I very much look forward to your unfurling process...

Meaggie Mae March 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

Girls yet again you two amaze me!

Mary, I too look forward to your unfurling process. You know very well how open I am with my feelings...I'm sure you don't want to be AS open in that way as I am, but how do I do it?...I'm not sure really...I haven't always been as open and honest with my feelings and emotions, perhaps thats why I am so open now, I decided to open the lid on the bottle of emotions and just never managed to stuff them back inside and put the lid on. I think if anyone can figure it out it would be you though, so let me in on all the secrets when you figure them out!

Sarah, to answer your first question...37...it was a tricky question to solve but using a combo of calculus, algebra, geometry, finite, physics, biochemistry, and just plain intelligence, I finally came to the answer. I'm an idiot sorry :o)
I think you're right, everyone has a door to their mind but they are all infinitely different and unique. Who's to say what kind of door is the right door or wrong door, but I'll say it anyway...the thick steel, rusty, oversized, spiky, death-defying, smelly door IS the wrong door to have on a mind! We all know at least one person with one of those doors and they are the most infuriating, impossible people to deal with.

Great subject, photography, and writing this week girls. I'm so proud to call you friends, and sisters.
<3
big kisses and hugs
Meag

ps. Mary come back already!!!! :o)

benldt March 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

I think, there isn't any such thing as being too open. Too accepting, too tolerant, too inclusive, too eager to please or appease, certainly; but never too open.

We should always, at the very least, be receptive. Or so it seems to me :)

Meaggie Mae March 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

As always Ben, very well put.

Miss you!

turtlestack March 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

Mary: Sometimes you just can't see your wings because they're on your back. You've got them, girl. open them up and fly.
And the fern is perhaps the most exquisite opening i've ever seen.

Sarah: How I love your delightful brain. Nothing short of that door in the roof, fish in the sky painting. You inspire me to great and fearless openings.

There is something about doors that lure me and the ones you post have a particular magic.

My personal perspective is, I enjoy the sanctuary of closed, the solitude it provides. Equally, I love the adventure of open and the discovery in brings

turtlestack March 25, 2010 at 2:10 AM  

Tomorrow is Friday. I'm waiting in anticipation to be dazzled once again.

Dogman March 25, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

Hey you two! Love the pics! Mary your shallow DOF/wide aperture has resulted in an appealing photo with a lovely smooth bokeh. Sarah, your photo's strong vertical lines make a very bold (strong) composition. The lionhead knockers provide a sense of depth in the image and draw the eyes from the left through the image to the dark vertical band on the right (which gives me a feeling og intrigue.

Open hearts and open minds. Worth trying to achieve and maintain. I'm an imperfect mix: I'm clopen!

Megan April 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

what a fabulous concept! that DOF in the fern photo is lovely -- such a delicate shot. the juxtaposition of the softness of the fern and the concreteness of the door makes for a great diptych.

About the Project

As a way to stay connected through our travels and beyond, A Perspective Project was initiated by the desire to master our cameras, and to be creative and more observant of the world around us.


Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP