Saturday, April 17, 2010

Week 6: Young/Old


Young (left: Sarah)



Youth is a treasure - one that people are forever holding onto, and when lost, forever seeking out.



To be young is to discover, to be curious and full of fascination. It is to marvel at the way things work and to question the how and the why.



It is to lay foundations with mud and sand, to throw wishes into wells, and to cast hopes and dreams on the stars.



Youth is both tender and resilient.



Youth is sometimes stolen though, events can creep in that change yellow brick roads into twisted paths and uphill climbs.



Youth isn't always what it should be...



When I watch my son gazing out the window he is full of youth, shining with all that is new. He is open, receptive and ready to take on the world. I have so many hopes and dreams of my own for him, and one is that he holds on to his childish wonder for as long as humanly possible.



We are human after all, and there comes a point in everyone's life where youth changes into something else, when we go from building sand castles and imagining up playmates to dealing with real relationships and picking up the pieces.



What words do you associate with being young? How do you hold onto your youth? What makes you feel young? Do tell!



Old (right: Mary)



It’s quite remarkable how language transcends speech. How one can tell what someone is feeling without them having said a single word. It’s the simple smile or gesture of a person that can alter your mood. In these instances we see a common language isn’t always necessary.



I have become quite fascinated with the buildings and sights I see, the language of the people, and the nuances of culture I encounter as we travel. But, I’ve found that it’s the oldest sights that seem to leave the biggest impression on me. They are the things that spark that wonderful feeling of contentment.



It’s the mystery of ancient ruins, of once-upon-a-time empires, the crumbling buildings of past colonial rulers that strike me just so. Above all else though, the wrinkles on a face well-worn, the laugh lines of a person who has and continues to live their life with joy are really what stand out to me, when I think of the word ‘old’.


7 comments:

Dogman April 17, 2010 at 6:34 AM  

I was young. Getting old. Still young at heart (and still relatively fit). Although older and wiser don't necessarily go together, I have experianced more peace and inner quietness as I've moved past 50, then 55. More often able to pause for that moment of sober second thought before reacting -- gives me a chance to respond instead. I love you both and am enjoying your work on this project so much! What a wonderful pair of pictures this week!

xoxo

-me

luna pie April 17, 2010 at 7:48 AM  

Mar, I love her weathered face and knowing eyes. There is definitely beauty at any age...

I agree with you too, I am always drawn to the old - cracked and crumbling, places that ooze with stories and tales.

Well done my friend!

Megan April 17, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

what a lovely face she has. and your son's smooth face gazing out into the world: magic.

Charlene April 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

Oh I adore the pix this week.

Old crumbling places make me want to learn all about what used to be.

Youth........skipping, watching a bird build a nest, seeing the world thru a child's eyes....all make one feel &/or act young.

Mary April 18, 2010 at 4:42 AM  

Sare,

I love this picture from you of sweet little Jinu. Oh, how I miss you guys.

And, I've got to share some exciting news in terms of my own growth (thanks to THIS project). I actually asked this lady to take her picture which is a HUGE accomplishment for me.

I've been really hesitant about taking people's pictures on this journey. But, I've been slowly finding the courage to ask and I'm so pleased I did.

Hopefully, I can continue on this path...

I'm loving this project so much.

Miss you, sistah!

Anvilcloud April 18, 2010 at 6:11 AM  

Nicely done, both of you. Sarah, you got quite perspicacious and poetic. I'm impressed.

turtlestack April 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

The older I get the less I know, which, I suppose makes me young because I have more to discover than I did yesterday and more questions about the how and why.

And, I love playing in the mud. Remember the squish of that red mud between our toes, Sass? We gotta do that more often. You want to join us, Mary?

About the Project

As a way to stay connected through our travels and beyond, A Perspective Project was initiated by the desire to master our cameras, and to be creative and more observant of the world around us.


Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP