Friday, April 2, 2010

Week 4: Orange/Blue

On the 4th week of each month, you can expect a set of pictures from both of us where we both post a set of opposing pictures. So, it's the last week of the month and here are both of our sets...

(Orange/Blue: Sarah)

I'm an art student, so when I hear the words orange and blue I can't help but conjure up the image of a colour wheel and spin it around my head a couple of times... primary colours, secondary colours, complimentary colours, oh my! Orange and blue are in fact my favourite complimentary pairing. But, then when I start thinking about things that are complimentary I can't help but think about food and, well, I love food. So, what foods compliment each other well? pickles and cheese? wine and cheese? popcorn and cheese? ... (Yes, I love cheese). Umm, chocolate and almonds, salmon and lemon, toast with marmite, tea and cookies?

How about you, what's your bread and butter?



These images were taken and two very different restaurants, serving equally delicious food.



(Orange/Blue: Mary)



The unexpected things that manifest in life, are what seem to lead to some of the greatest pictures, moments, and experiences, aren’t they? Often and especially with this project, I have an idea and having this idea leads me to look for certain things and steers my attention in a particular direction. This path, rather annoyingly, doesn’t usually lead me to a completed project. So from here on in, I’m trying a new approach. I’m going to just let things happen.



The opportunities in which I snapped these pics revealed themselves unexpectedly. The first is an 83-year old monk who decided to come and chat with Ben and me while we waited for a bus. He relayed details of his life and chatted rather enthusiastically about all sorts of things. It was a nice chat before we boarded a not so nice bus. The second is a picture of where we are currently stationed, Mut Mee’s Guesthouse, Nong Khai, Northern Thailand on the banks of the Mekong River. Quite the lovely retreat for some R&R.



Do you live for the unexpected?

10 comments:

Mary April 2, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

Sarah,

The richness of the colour in your pictures is FANTASTIC. They're amazing shots.

My bread and butter?

Rice and Seaweed...the best combination EVER.

Tuna and Cheese.

Apples and CRISP...hehe

Curry and Nan.

Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows.

Coffee and Chocolate (mixed with milk and topped with whipped cream and more chocolate)..you could throw come caramel in there for good measure as well!

....

I want to eat all of these things right NOW.

Bexzter April 2, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

I love your pictures guys! Can I borrow your camera's? In two weeks I have to do a photo essay for Media Arts :) LOL

Sarah, you want to know my bread and butter? The girl who could eat anything? LOL! That will be a very looong list... I will post it on my blog so I don't take up all your comment space! But I think I will have some brunch first, the thought of food is making my hungry :D

Love u two lots :)

turtlestack April 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

For some unexpected reason I have a craving for chocolate.

Actually, your pictures this week are my bread and butter. Both sets caused me to breathe deeply and feel completely filled.

I think the angle we look at things communicates as much, if not more than the colour. That certainly proves true in these pictures.

luna pie April 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

Marmar,

Ohhhh your shots are gorgeous this week - both soft and poignant. I love the folds in each of the fabrics, holding promises of wise words or a cool breeze.
As for the unexpected, yes, I absolutely have, and imagine always will live my life like that - allowing myself to move in a different direction if it presents itself.

Love and miss you

Meaggie Mae April 2, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

Girls, as you well know, orange is my favourite colour, and like you said Sarah, orange and blue are my favourite complimentary pair.

Sarah, perfect pictures...my bread and butter...chocolate and peanut butter, strawberries and chocolate, cookie and chocolate chip, tea and green, sun and shine, rainbows and butterflies, you and Jinu, Ben and Mary...I could go on forever!

Mary, gorgeous photography! I've said it once (or more) and I'll say it again, you have an incredible talent, you're a natural. Both images grab me and pull me in for very different reasons, and very beautiful reasons. I try to live for the unexpected. I would say that I live for the beauty of the unexpected, but not for the dangerous or ugly unexpected things in life...but at the same time it's all life, good or bad...so yes! yes I do live for the unexpected!

lovely lovely lovely.
love you two beautiful women!

Charlene April 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

Blue .......... my fave colour but I think I'd rather pair it with shocking pink.

As for food:
Meatballs & rice
chicken & mashed taters
pie & whipped cream

Loved the photo of the monk. Awsome that he took the time to speak with you & instill a bit of his wisdom!!

Charlene April 2, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

PS: Wishing you both a safe & Blessed Easter weekend

Anonymous April 4, 2010 at 6:52 AM  

I love these posts, ladies. I don't comment much (if ever) but I always read.

xoxoxox
Shauna

Mary April 4, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

Thanks everyone for the comments (and for reading).

Love to you all!!

Dogman April 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

My favourite complementaries: red and green, yes, wine and cheese, hugs and kisses, yin and yang, marmite and peanut butter!

:)

Your photos are exquisite, as always.

xo

By the way, the word verification I have to type in below to post this comment is 'ovate,' which I assume means to lay an egg??!! It is to chuckle.

About the Project

As a way to stay connected through our travels and beyond, A Perspective Project was initiated by the desire to master our cameras, and to be creative and more observant of the world around us.


Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP