Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Week 13: Disgusting/Delightful


Disgusting (left: Sarah)



The streets downtown are literally littered. A mess with flyers, business cards, posters and discarded everything. There are no trash cans to be found so people make ooey gooey trash piles. Next to the ooey gooey piles are oeey gooey blobs of hork and an open sewage system that in the summer smells like exactly what is.



When I think of the things that are most disgusting to me it always comes back to waste - human waste, wasted things, wasted time, and wasted energy.



The times I feel most disgusted with myself is when I waste ideas or opportunities. As of late my ideas are all too often wasted, feathers stolen by the wind, whirling around with no place to cement themselves.



How about you, had any bright ideas lately?



Delightful (right: Mary)



When I think about delightful I think about a slice of my mom’s warm apple crisp, curling up with a book on a rainy day, or having a good conversation. But, one of the biggest delights on this trip has been our interaction with the kids we’ve met along the way.



I’m always a bit reserved when it comes to taking pictures of strangers, so I’m careful to ask for permission. The usual response is an enthusiastic, ‘yes’. So I take pictures with both the SLR and with the Fujifilm Mini (which prints the pictures immediately).



Kids especially love to have their picture taken. Not because they are aspiring models but because they love to see their beaming faces on the little screen. Real delight, though, comes when they get to hold a picture of themselves, put it in their pocket and take it home.



At first, before the picture develops, their faces stare bewildered at the blank film. Slowly, as the picture emerges, their faces begin to light up. They look up at me astonished and then once they appear in the photo, they get hysterical with giggles. They run about showing off their new treasure to mom or dad all while glancing back at me with the biggest smile.



Who knew such a small gesture could translate into such pleasure for them and especially for me.



What are some of the things that take you by surprise and bring you great delight?

10 comments:

Anonymous June 6, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Sarah: I love this photo!
Makes me wonder why there aren't any trash cans though. I moved downtown last summer on the same day the garbage strike begun and after a few weeks I was so aggravated with all the trash I could scream. It was sad to see the city in such a mess...

As for the wasted ideas - I have a tiny black book I carry around in my purse for those moments. I use it to write down ideas, thoughts, recipe ideas, etc so I don't forget them! =)

Anonymous June 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

Mary: My biggest delights as of late have been cooking and good conversation.

...and that's all I can say for now, or I'll ruin my 20/20 update (which I'm still working on btw!)

~Lee-Anne

Meaggie Mae June 6, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

Sare,
bright ideas? Just to get my ass into Hot Yoga again, go paragliding, and start planning my departure from Korea and travel plans.
Am I wasting time and energy? yes! often! I'm proud to admit that but yes I waste a lot of time worrying about things that SHOULD have no bearing on my life...and that disgusts myself when I think about it.
My most recent bright idea is to offer to babysit on wednesday night for you so you can have the alone time you so deserve!
AND to try to drag you out more often kicking and screaming...cause I know once you're out and about you'll be happy I did it ^^

Mare,
what provides great delight? green tea lattes, reading on a train, running and jumping off mountain tops, taking pics with my new cam, spending time with Sarah and Jinu, writing...sleeping.^^

Ladies,
amazing pictures, amazing writing, and yet again a great subject and great inspiration.

love you muchy
Meagan

Mary June 6, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

Sare.....HOT LEGS. That's all I have to say about that.

I, too, love this photo. It brings back so many memories of downtown for me. I miss it in all of its disgustingness.

Lee-Anne, I do the same thing. I carry around a small moleskin in my purse and jot down things I want to remember (thanks, Heather!!).

Megan June 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

yeah, that description of the streets is really disgusting :P. mary, what a brilliant idea to have one of the "instant" cameras that offers immediate gratification -- truly delightful for model and photographer!

Anvilcloud June 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

A fine post by both you. Great feather metaphor, Sare.

luna pie June 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

I should start writing down my ideas too...

Delight! My delight lately has been the daily walks and adventures that Jinu and I go on together. He marvels at the tanks full of writhing eels and fish, and gets free lollipops and rice cakes from the local store owners. He gets hugs and kisses from the many people who know us in the area, with exclamations of "My! How he's grown!" He stops to collect rocks and pebbles and clutches onto them for dear life. Hearing all of the new words he is saying daily delights me to no end as well!

Delight is getting to spend an hour to myself at the end of the day with a glass of wine or cup of tea, to curl up with a good book or get lost in thought.

Delight is a full night's sleep...


Mare ~ I love how our pictures both have the central focus as limbs or digits...

turtlestack June 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

I'm with you on the horking, Sass. There's nothing more disgusting, not even the maggots in the compost bin this morning.

Your pictures of people are delightful, Mary, as is your words describing them.

For me these days, delight is found in the quiet of early morning hours when I can play with my imaginary friends.

Mary June 10, 2010 at 4:33 AM  

Horking is sick. The noises, the build up,...it's all disgusting.

BUT, and there is a but... for anyone who has had a lugee sitting at the back of their throat knows how good it feels to hork it up, no?!

Pain for pleasure...that's all I'm saying. Anyone?!

Heather, your mornings sounds so lovely.

Charlene June 12, 2010 at 6:25 PM  

YUCK re the horking wether it's males or females
Garbage in street isn't great either

My idea of a great adventure is a walk with Jinu in toe

Mary: LOVE love love the pix & the description of the smiles you bring to a childs face with your gifts brings a smile to my imagination

About the Project

As a way to stay connected through our travels and beyond, A Perspective Project was initiated by the desire to master our cameras, and to be creative and more observant of the world around us.


Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP