Friday, June 25, 2010

Week 16: Hands/Feet

Hands/Feet (Mary)



Every set of hands and feet tell a story.



Our feet tell of where we are, where we’ve been, how we got there and where we’re headed. Our hands tell of the things we’ve held, created, mementos of the journey that lead us to the here and now.



In both McLeod Ganj (hands) and in Naranag (feet), I was moved by the people I met and the stories they shared. I was moved by how tragic they appeared to me; but also by how the woman who was incapable of providing for herself, wore a smile each time we met. And, by how the little boy with holey shoes and no socks seemed not to notice as he worked away, happily mimicking his father at the ripe old age of six.



Hands and feet are precious. I’m on a mission to make the most of mine.



Where would you like your hands and feet to take you?



Hands/Feet (Sarah)



Sometimes I like to run the tips of my fingers repeatedly over certain textures, like corduroy pants or shaggy carpets. I like to cut my fingernails really short, and I delight in being covered with paint, often using the back of my hand as a palette. I'm not very keen on hand holding ~ I'd rather be free. I like tracing letters and drawing imaginary pictures on skin. I've been told I give a mean massage, that I have "healing" hands. I do NOT like touching paper when my hands are cold, and, the term 'knuckle sandwich' reminds me of one of the funniest nights of my life.



Since having a baby I have become masterful and picking things up with my toes and flinging them up into my hands, or in whatever direction suits me. I like painting my toenails, burrowing my way into cool sand, and being barefoot. My feet have run, walked and traveled thousands upon thousands of miles. They have both guided me to the tip top and kept me firmly planted.


I love my hands and feet, they are the roots and branches of my body.



What have yours done for you?

6 comments:

Mary June 26, 2010 at 6:45 AM  

Errr---stupid Internet didn't publish my last comment.

Sare, I love the colours and the sweet little faces in your pictures. Is that Tina's hand in that picture?

I miss the squishy little fingers and toes of the wee ones at ECC.

Lately, my feet and hands have been dirtier than ever. India has a way with making sure your filthy whenever you're not showering. But, my dirty hands and feet are leading me to new places and taking me on some wild adventures.

Love you, sis.Errr---stupid Internet didn't publish my last comment.

Sare, I love the colours and the sweet little faces in your pictures. Is that Tina's hand in that picture?

I miss the squishy little fingers and toes of the wee ones at ECC.

Lately, my feet and hands have been dirtier than ever. India has a way with making sure your filthy whenever you're not showering. But, my dirty hands and feet are leading me to new places and taking me on some wild adventures.

Love you, sis.

Meaggie Mae June 27, 2010 at 5:11 AM  

Mary, I want my hands and feet to take Sarah, Jinu, and I to where you and Ben are!!! And thats the honest truth about that thing!

Sare, your question will be answered in this weeks Self-Kindness Sundays...but to add to that, I'm so happy that my feet brought me here, to South Korea, where I was fortunate enough to meet Mary and Ben when I first arrived, and shortly thereafter meeting you and Jinu. All four pairs of our hands, and feet have shared many experiences together, climbing mountains, doing yoga, running half marathons, picking flowers, playing in sand...such lovely memories our hands and feet have played a huge role in!

Love you both!

luna pie June 27, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

Yes Mar, that sure is Tina's hand!


What strikes me the most about this weeks photos is that there is such a stark contrast between the hands and feet of those living a privileged life, and those who are not. And yet, they are all so full of life, full of joy or pain, full of tales of what was and what will come.

Mary, your photographs are painfully beautiful.

Love and miss you!

Anvilcloud June 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM  

Mary, there is pathos in your pictures. I will try to be thankful for my over-heel-spurs shoes and also for my somewhat arthritic hands this week and often.

Charlene June 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

Oh my what a contrast between poverty & $$

Love the smiles of all the children.

My feet & hands can't wait to hug Sarah & Jinu or to finally meet Mary.

Love & long distance hugs
CB

Anonymous June 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

Ladies, you never fail to keep me on my toes - no pun intended. Your last two entries have been subjects I have been struggling with for so long.
What do I want for myself in life? What happens when we are no longer here? What can my hands do to better this world? Where will my feet take me - where do I WANT them to take me...and so on.

I have been thinking about your last entry (Life/Death) since it was posted and what have I put together in response? NOTHING. These topics sometimes leave me speechless if only because there are SO MANY THOUGHTS running through my mind that it would be (and seems to be) impossible to put any coherent reply together.

So you get this:

Keep on keeping me on my toes - I LOVE IT AND ALL THAT YOU ARE DOING WITH ALL THOSE HANDS AND FEET!

=)

~Lee-Anne

About the Project

As a way to stay connected through our travels and beyond, A Perspective Project was initiated by the desire to master our cameras, and to be creative and more observant of the world around us.


Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP